Welcome, Guest    
Login  Contact Us RSS Feeds
Anitech Infraa
  Add Property                
Register Free to find a Perfect life partner In AnytimeMatrimony | Equated Monthly Installment(EMI) Calculator | Stamp Duty Calculator | Area Conversion Calculator | Know answer for your Taxation query | Ask Legal Advice @ Free of cost | Vaastu Tips
FAQ Sitemap
Newsletter Signup
Subscribe for our property news letter

News Search
Type a keyword to search.


Select a city to search property news.

News Archieves
September 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
September 2008
June 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
External Links
 ICICI Home Loans
 LIC Housing
 HDFC Home Loans
 SBI Home Loans
 Axis Bank Home Loans
 Tamilnadu Govt Links
adProperty News

Exemption from capital gain tax
Source : The Hindu Property Plus Published On : 2007-11-24 City : Chennai

My residential property was in Mumbai.I sold it on August 23,2007 as I was transferred from Mumbai to Pune. I bought it for Rs.12,70,750(excluding stamp duty and registration fee) and sold it for Rs.21,90,000. I bought another residential property at Pune for Rs.14,25,000(excluding stamp duty and registration fee).Is it exempted from capital gain tax?


Our Panellist C.H.Gopinatha Rao Replies:


      There should be a minimum period of three years to be treated under long term capital gain tax.


If you have paid the money in instalments, partly within three years and partly before three years, part of the amount paid within three years will be treated as short time capital gains. Consult a tax consultant in your locality.

Gift Tax:

 May I know about gift tax? Suppose I have Rs.2,00,000/-taxable money. Can I gift   Rs.40,000/-to my wife through notary on stamp paper. Will the net taxable money be 2,00,000 or 1,60,000?

Gopinath Rao replies:

 You have to pay tax for taxable amount. By making a gift, your liability for payment of tax will remain at Rs.2 lakhs.

Sharing The Proceeds:

We are two brothers, both married. My father and his brothers sold a family property inherited from my grandfather who’d partitioned off the property while he was alive through a court decree.


They sold the property in the current financial year and took the money in their own individual names with HUF appended. Subsequently my father opened a bank account in that name and the nominees were my mother and myself. Since brother is an NRI, his name was not included in the bank account.


I’ve now located an apartment in New Delhi, the value of which is more than the amount received by him. I’m pitching in with my money and some loan from bank.

This property is intended to be in my name. My brother wishes all the money to be shared equally between us to escape disputes later.


That is to say half of the total amount received. My father does not wish to pay any capital gains tax and hence wishes to invest all the money in the apartment I’ve selected.

I’ve agreed to give my brother the amount thru gift in lieu of which the apartment shall be in my name without much liability on the tax front. Please advise.

Gopinath Rao Replies

You have to furnish the complete details of the amount received by sale of the property and the price for which you intend to purchase the new property.Your brother and father may be liable to pay the tax as the new property is to be only in your name. For more details you consult a local tax consultant.

Commercial Complex:

I plan to sell my house for Rs.97 lakhs and invest the entire proceeds immediately in a commercial complex and rent out the office space. Will I need to pay capital gains tax?

Gopinath Rao Replies:

In my opinion, you have to acquire only residential building.



More on Anytimeproperty
City Based Properties
Useful Tools Property News Search Property Calculators Others
© 2019 Any Time Property All Rights Reserved. Home | About Us | Advertise | Testimonials | Help & Support | Contact Us | Careers | FAQ | Feedback | Sitemap
Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions Developed by Snick Technologies